Bolsas y Mercados Españoles
Company
search
Home / ABOUT US / The Bolsa Palace Building / Palace History >
Palace History

Early homes

From its creation in 1831 until the current Stock Exchange building was opened in 1893, the Spanish stock market had a number of different homes in the centre of Madrid. The very first Madrid Stock Exchange was located in Plazuela del Angel, on the corner of calle Carretas.

In 1832 it was moved to the Casa de Filipinas, also close to the calle Carretas. Foto Casa de Filipinas. In 1841 the Exchange moved again, this time to the cloister of the San Martín monastery, and then again in 1846, to the Monjas Bernardas convent on the calle Alcalá. Just a year later the Exchange moved yet again, this time to the Basilios monastery in calle Desengaño. In 1875 the Bolsa was installed in the Aduana Vieja building, the former Customs House, in what became known as the Plaza de la Bolsa.

The current Palace

The current Stock Exchange building was opened by Queen Maria Cristina on 7 May 1893 and has survived to the present day with the original design of architect Enrique Repullés intact.

The building's motif-laden halls and opulent ornamentation, which is rich in symbolry, ensure that generation after generation come to recognise, understand and appreciate the true essence of the very special business relationship underpinning the whole history of the stock market.


The Luis Taverner frescos remain in place, as on the day the building was opened, the Francisco Molinelli sculptures are intact, and furnishings and fittings have been changed for maintenance purposes only. The patron saint of the Stock Exchange, Mercury, has undoubtedly taken good care of the place, preserving it for us to the present day in all its splendour.

The building of the Bolsa

Construction of the building which was to house the Madrid Stock Exchange begun in 1878 on a plot of land in the shape of a grand piano located in Plaza de la Lealtad and provided by the State.

The construction process took some 15 years to complete.
The building was paid for out of the first Ptas. 200,000 collected in entrance fees for admission to the building on calle de la Bolsa and by a two-tranche bond issue to the value of Ptas. 3 million.

The architect who designed the building, Enrique Repullés, also supervised the construction work. Symbolry was an important feature of the building's design, both in the architecture and in the ornamentation.

The resulting palatial building, which was completed in 1893, conforms to the neo-classical style prescribed by the San Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Arts and is very similar to other palaces built in Madrid around that time, which through their shape and motifs give tangible form to the thoughts and aspirations of the period.

These buildings, which reflect the renaissance of classicism, were designed to convey and preserve for future generations this new, optimistic spirit.

Other landmark Madrid buildings dating from this time include the Bank of Spain, National Library, Museum of Modern Art and Royal Academy of the Spanish language.

 

 

Follow us in:
Copyright © Bolsas y Mercados Españoles 2017